Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lights, Camera, Act-shawwwwwn

Over the years I have always considered auditioning for some type of theatre production. I have sang all my life and thought that my incessant hand gestures and obnoxiously dramatic facial expressions might lend themself to the stage. Yet, a combination of self-doubt and straight up fear kept me from taking the plunge.

In April I saw auditions for Bye Bye Birdie, a musical that I was particularly fond of as a child. I tossed the idea around and eventually chose to audition with the stipulation that I would not tell a soul, unless I actually got a part in the play. Anyone who knows me knows the idea of me 'not telling a soul' is a concept I have yet to master and a total joke. I, of course, told 80 million people prior to my audition, increasing my anxiety ten fold. I scrambled and stumbled my way through the entire audition, mortified that there were three people witness to such an embarrassing display. I exited and immediately put a gag order into effect, demanding it never be spoken of again. Anything pertaining to auditions, theatre or Bye Bye Birdie was strictly prohibited.

A few weeks after, I had successfully gotten my mind off the horrific event, only to discover the cast list posted on facebook. Nestled amongst the names I slowly read: Lindsay Stockhecke. Rapid blinks, deep gulps, and some stuttering occurred, followed by disbelief and laughter that anyone would allow me onstage after such an audition.

The next six weeks flew by, and were full of enjoyment, challenges, exhaustion, growth, and a ton of other adjectives I cannot think of. I loved that I was singing again, as well as expressing myself in completely new way. Everyone involved was energetic, friendly and pretty kooky (my kinda people!!). We got a standing ovation every night, and received amazing feedback regarding the quality of the show. I am so proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfortable bubble, and attempting something I had previously been too scared to try.
Getting ready for opening night

 Get it gurrrrrrrl
Oooo snap

I've got the fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell acting! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment